Close your eyes.
Is there a particular aroma or flavour that instantly evokes Christmas in your mind?
Smoky log fires
Fresh Pine bows
Striped candy canes
Oven Roasted turkey
Warm cranberry sauce
Fresh baked gingerbread
Every December Nutmeg’s mum sends a holiday package filled with giant succulent pink grapefruits and juicy oranges. This sunny parcel is a reminder that there are climates where it is not mandatory to have snow at Christmas.
The following recipe is dead simple and is guaranteed to make your home smell like Christmas.
- 6-8 Whole Oranges, choose a variety with a thin skin such as Valencia 4 Tablespoons Liquid honey
- 2 Cups Fresh orange juice or French apple cider
- ¼ - ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Prepared pie crust, in France pâte feuilletée
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Slice the oranges in thin rounds and remove any seeds
- Arrange half the orange slices in an overlapping pattern in the bottom of a roasting pan
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of honey
- Repeat with remaining slices and balance of the honey
- Pour orange juice (or cider) over oranges
- Cover pan with aluminum foil, and roast about 1½ hours - you want the rinds to be soft
- Remove pan from oven and increase heat to 375°
- Sprinkle oranges with sugar and roast for about 40-50 minutes, uncovered, the fruit should be soft and the edges browning
- Prick the prepared crust with a fork
- Bake the empty pie shell for 10-25 minutes until golden brown
- Remove the crust from the oven
- Arrange the orange slices in a pretty pattern on the crust and drizzle with the pan juices
- Allow tart to rest for 1 hour before serving
What is your favourite Christmas scent?
Food Travel Tags:
Christmas Baking, Easy baking recipes, Easy sweet tart recipes, Recipes with Citrus