As part of All American Breakfast Month, National Waffle Week September 2nd – 8th is devoted just to waffles. To celebrate, Unique Belgique wants to share some interesting waffle history and ways to enjoy these delectable treats!
Waffle History: Wondering where waffles came from?
Here, are some fun facts about this food’s history:
- Waffles got their start in the Middle Ages as wafer cakes or crisps made of flat bread.
- Waffle cones filled with ice cream started at the St. Louis World Fair in 1904 when an ice cream vendor ran out of cups and asked a nearby waffle maker for help.
- In 1789, Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron from France and held parties known as “Waffle Frolics” (waffle parties) in the White House.
- General Electric invented the electric waffle iron in 1911, making waffles an easy, at-home meal made from cheap ingredients like flour and eggs.
- Waffles are enjoyed today because they are the perfect mix of warm sweetness with a crisp outside and a soft baked inside. They can be served at any meal or as dessert.
International Creations: A global tour of waffle traditions:
- “Belgian Waffles” are actually an American creation! Based on Brussels Waffles, the U.S. version is denser and thinner than the Brussels version. Did you know that?
- The Liege waffle originates in Eastern Belgium and is a thick and chewy waffle topped with pearl sugar crystals sold on the street.
- Interesting…Waffles in Hong Kong are known as “grid cakes” and come in flavors like chocolate, honey melon and peanut butter.
- Vietnam Pandan waffles are not served with syrup they have a coconut flavor and a green colour on the inside.
Customized Recipes: Whether with ice cream or traditional butter and syrup, waffles are delightful for any meal – really. Customize your Unique Belgique waffle with your favourite sweet or savoury flavors during this year’s National Waffle Week.
- Make a banana’s foster style by topping your waffle with sliced ripened bananas and a brown sugar rum sauce.
- Dessert lover need only heat a waffle and top with cold ice cream or frozen yogurt and hot fudge for a decadent sundae.
- Fruits like strawberries, blackberries and blueberries can be baked in the waffles or sweetened with sugar and piled on top.
- A savoury waffle is as easy as wrapping up fried chicken fingers for an interesting new take on the chicken sandwich.
Any way you slice it, a waffle is the perfect sweet treat, filling meal or personalized creation. Enjoy a waffle September 2nd – 8th to celebrate National Waffle Week with Unique Belgique. Find out more on our Facebook Page.
How are you going to celebrate this holiday?
Photo Credits: Unique Belgique