Nutmeg has a bit of time on her hands this fall and this soup one of her new favorites:
Note: mild curry can be added as well (optional). Enjoy!
- 1 Small Fennel bulb, diced
- 3 Shallots or ½ onion, diced
- 1.5 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Pears cored and cubed
- 5 cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 Medium Acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ Cup Coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Saute fennel and shallots in pan with 1 Tbsp oil until lightly brown.
- Add the remaining oil and the pears.
- Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine the stock, ginger, cinnamon and squash.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- When the squash is almost cooked, add the pear mixture, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and puree in a blender until smooth.